DragonSnail's Lair DragonSnail Artwork WIP - Work in Progress Abiadan, Paladin Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
The Mighty DragonSnail

Registration Date: February 2003
  Abiadan, PaladinPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DragonSnail Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Abiadan is a paladin with the unusual heritage erudite-darkelf. I was asked to put a lot of emotion into
the portrait, and that, I have tried to accommodate. Here is the sketch of the poor, battered fighter, at
the end of one very close encounter:

Here I have started blocking in the main colors. I'm aiming for a really dark and dramatic mood:

I really, really hate painting clouds. I guess it's just because I need more practice, so there's nothing
more to it than trying and trying again. References is always a good thing before you feel secure enough
with a subject, and I used some good photos as ref's for this sky. If I hadn't, you would notice a remarkable
difference - for the worse!

The DragonSnail

05.06.2010, 12:18 DragonSnail is offline   Profile for DragonSnail Add DragonSnail to your buddy list Send an Email to DragonSnail
DragonSnail
The Mighty DragonSnail

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DragonSnail Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here I seriously started working out shadows and highlights and also added plenty of little details on the
image, like the blood rivulets. Faces are important - if I don't manage to work out the face to my own
satisfaction, it's hard for me to continue on the rest of the image. It simply feels impersonal and lifeless
then. Not so here - I'm quite happy with his face so far. It radiates emotion; exhaustion, defiance, anger
and despair, all at once.

23.06.2010, 22:51 DragonSnail is offline   Profile for DragonSnail Add DragonSnail to your buddy list Send an Email to DragonSnail
Kallysti
Storyteller

Registration Date: June 2006
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kallysti Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My mother is a painter (canvas & some ceramic type stuff) and she says the same thing about creating faces: just can't get into the rest if she doesn't like the face!

I'm loving this one so far! And aside from the face, the clouds are my favorite part. So there!

25.06.2010, 00:28 Kallysti is offline   Profile for Kallysti Add Kallysti to your buddy list Send an Email to Kallysti
DragonSnail
The Mighty DragonSnail

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DragonSnail Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks Kally, the encouragement really helps!

Worked some more on this, added a few details, worked out shadows and highlights. I'm not really
happy with the banner. Can't put my finger on what it is though, but somehow it feels... wrong. Too
showy, too flowy. For some reason the curvy shape looks feminine. Cause women are more curvy, you
know. I'll have to change it eventually, I guess.

There's no less than six little dragons in this image! I counted. There's the dragon ornament on the
helmet, the dragon on the shield, the one on top of the banner pole and the one on the banner itself,
the dragon crossbar on the sword and the dragon head on the hilt. Though I haven't coloured the one
on the shield yet, sorry about that. But it WILL be there, I promise!

Here's a close-up of the helmet ornament:

22.08.2010, 22:25 DragonSnail is offline   Profile for DragonSnail Add DragonSnail to your buddy list Send an Email to DragonSnail
Kallysti
Storyteller

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kallysti Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Awesome work. His countenance is simply chilling...not a guy I'd like to meet right now, lol.

My take on the banner is that the bottom half of it puts me more in mind of long, flowing hair & not so much of fabric. Does that help? I'm no kind of artist

Post last edited by Kallysti on 24.08.2010, 16:49.

23.08.2010, 16:52 Kallysti is offline   Profile for Kallysti Add Kallysti to your buddy list Send an Email to Kallysti
Martilena
Cool Member

Registration Date: October 2005
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Martilena Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree about the bottom of the banner looking like hair rather than fabric. The rest is pretty awesome to me but I'm not a painter either. My art is mostly crocheted or knitted lol.

24.08.2010, 15:43 Martilena is offline   Profile for Martilena Add Martilena to your buddy list Send an Email to Martilena
Blackbast
Conqueror

Registration Date: February 2004
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Blackbast Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Absolutely astounding! I agree that the clouds look wonderful - dark and forboding. I think you skills are continuing to improve and I can't wait to see the finished work! Not sure what to suggest about the banner, but I agree that something feels a little off with it. Maybe it's how little movement there is at the top compared to the bottom streamer...just my 2cp.

Remember, there is something magical in all of us...somewhere!

25.08.2010, 05:27 Blackbast is offline   Profile for Blackbast Add Blackbast to your buddy list Send an Email to Blackbast YIM Screenname: black_leopard359
DragonSnail
The Mighty DragonSnail

Thanks on the tips for the banner, everyone! Yeah, the bottom part of it put me more in mind of hair,
too. I had intended to make it worn and ripped, but it didn't work out like I envisioned it. I'll have to
work with it and see if I can come up with a better solution. For now, let's add some background (and
foreground)!

Looks like the shield is floating on air. Oh well, can't do everything at once. I'm getting there!

30.08.2010, 20:21 DragonSnail is offline   Profile for DragonSnail Add DragonSnail to your buddy list Send an Email to DragonSnail
Martilena
Cool Member

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Martilena Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow! It is really coming together and looking great. I agree, I sure wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley somewhere.

As for the banner, maybe if it had more rips or looked more stringy would make it better?

06.09.2010, 18:19 Martilena is offline   Profile for Martilena Add Martilena to your buddy list Send an Email to Martilena
Kallysti
Storyteller

It really is coming together now I simply LOVE that sword, especially the pommel. It really draws my eye.

09.09.2010, 16:53 Kallysti is offline   Profile for Kallysti Add Kallysti to your buddy list Send an Email to Kallysti
Abiadan

Registration Date: August 2005
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Abiadan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When I first saw Snail's artwork over 6 years ago I made a promise to myself that this was where I would get Ab's portrait done when I was able to do so.

I have been playing EQ for 10 1/2 years, and Abiadan has been the only character I've ever played. The portrait's ability to capture the never-say-die attitude of my paladin was probably the most important aspect that I wanted to see in the finished work. Snail has done an excellent job in capturing what I wanted in the portrait. The final compliment came from my guildmates when upon seeing the portrait they said they could tell right away that it was Abiadan.

Thx Snail for a great piece of art and, even more importantly, for capturing who and what he is in a manner that I can frame and keep long after EQ shuts down as a memory of a lot of great times and friends.

Post last edited by Abiadan on 26.09.2010, 01:20.

26.09.2010, 01:17 Abiadan is offline   Profile for Abiadan Add Abiadan to your buddy list Send an Email to Abiadan Homepage of Abiadan AIM Screenname: Abiadan Paendrag
DragonSnail
The Mighty DragonSnail

Wow, Abi, that's really good praise for the portrait! I'm so happy to hear you like it. And I feel just a
little bit flattered that you chose me to make your character portrait.

Next step in the process: Worked out background and foreground. What a timesink it is with backgrounds!
But a good BG can make or unmake a picture, it's well worth it. Added some dust to get more dynamics in
the image, but I still haven't gotten around to that banner. Talking of timesinks... ever try chainmail?

26.09.2010, 22:00 DragonSnail is offline   Profile for DragonSnail Add DragonSnail to your buddy list Send an Email to DragonSnail
Blackbast
Conqueror

Registration Date: February 2004
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Blackbast Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think the banner looks much better now. The whole piece is absolutely amazing! You've outdone yourself once again!

Remember, there is something magical in all of us...somewhere!

29.09.2010, 09:23 Blackbast is offline   Profile for Blackbast Add Blackbast to your buddy list Send an Email to Blackbast YIM Screenname: black_leopard359
DragonSnail
The Mighty DragonSnail

Thanks, BB! I'm glad you think so, cause I spent loads of time on this piece, and I wanted it to show!

Done! Lopped off the banner for a more squarish design, it fitted the masculine theme better. Drew
down the saturation of the background a little to put more focus on the character, added a warm
light from ahead and increased the magic effect on the sword, just cause it looks better this way.
And, yeah, dirtied down the hem of cloak and banner. The stuff's not fresh out from the factory, you
know!

03.10.2010, 15:20 DragonSnail is offline   Profile for DragonSnail Add DragonSnail to your buddy list Send an Email to DragonSnail
Martilena
Cool Member

Oh yeah! I like this a lot!

03.10.2010, 22:57 Martilena is offline   Profile for Martilena Add Martilena to your buddy list Send an Email to Martilena
Thunder_dream
Conqueror

Registration Date: April 2006
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Thunder_dream Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Beautiful and so dark. <3 I have missed seeing your work

17.01.2011, 00:35 Thunder_dream is offline   Profile for Thunder_dream Add Thunder_dream to your buddy list Send an Email to Thunder_dream
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

EverQuest and all associated properties are the Copyright of Sony Online Entertainment.